Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What Steals Your Personal Peace of Mind (& Heart & Soul)

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me - Psalm 23:4a KJV

Today I counted...

I counted how many times some small thing stole my peace of mind away from me. I enumerated each time something in the world around me caused me to lose my grip on this fact:

God is on His throne which is in my heart and yet as close as He is I lost touch with Him and made this earthly minutiae, this temporary interruption, this less than significant obstruction greater than He and bigger than what He had given me to do.

In the battles we face in every day life most of us need to confess, right now, that those battles are over next to nothing. It's not monsters that sidetrack us from following hard after God and enjoying, praising, loving and worshipping Him in our everyday life. We are thrown off course by small things. We might even be embarrassed if our friends and family knew just how easily tiny things keep us from enjoying our God and living our faith. Moreover it is self defeating. Why? Because what we tend to forget (or perhaps never even knew) was that our peace is actually a weapon.

Daily life creates many opportunities to rob us of our peace. Cash flow concerns, deadlines, relationships, something not where it belongs, someone doing what we believe they should not - all have been designed by a very creative enemy of your soul to drape stress on us like a heavy wet blanket. The Biblical axiom we must embrace is this: Our confidence in the God of peace declares that you are not falling for the lies of the devil. He cannot take from you what God has given you. You can hand it over however and often we give up this eternally valuable gift for NOTHING!!!


All of us desire more control. The way we gain it is to lose ourselves in God's rulership in our life. We gain spiritual authority in a similar manner. You see the first step toward having spiritual authority over the adversary is having peace in spite of our circumstances. When Jesus confronted the devil, He did not confront satan with His emotions or in fear. Knowing that the devil was a liar, He simply refused to be influenced by any voice other than His Heavenly Father's. Jesus' peace overwhelmed satan; His authority then shattered the lie, which sent demons fleeing.

There is a place of walking with God where you simply fear no evil. David faced a lion, a bear, and a giant. In this Psalm he stood in the "shadow of death" itself, yet he "feared no evil." David's trust was in the Lord. He said, "...for Thou art with me." Because God is with you, every adversity and adversary, both real and imagined that we face will fold before you in victory as you maintain your faith in God!

In this Psalm David continued, "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies" (Ps. 23:5a). The promise is this, as you live in God's rule, in the Kingdom, with a grateful and remembering heart, the battle we are in will soon become a meal for us; an experience that will nourish and build us up spiritually and emotionally.

Only true peace, God's peace will quell our fleshly reactions in battle. The source of God's peace is God Himself. God is the Gospel...HE is the good news and HE is the peace. If anger, bitterness, frustration or fear has been knocking at your door, begin to face them with God's peace. It is God's secret weapon to destroy the hinderances of our life.

I remain...

InHISgrip,
~J~

1 comment: