Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Master Maker of All Things Good...

Then the Lord said to Moses, "See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts-to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship. - Exodus 31:1-5

So I got up this morning and I was thinking back on all the great pieces of art that the Lord has allowed me to play as a guitarist. I have had several Gibson guitars, a Martin, a Taylor, and 3 Fender guitars (all American made). In addition I had a Swedish handmade Hagstrom, a Guild and an original Epiphone (before Gibson bought them and took them to Korea to be mass produced.)

God entrusted me with many fine instruments. And, in some cases I did not do very well by the work of the fine men and women who created them. This morning as I looked over at my Black Fender Stratocaster Ultra I realized how someone's gifting had changed my life and created in me a whole new reason to glorify God.

In the little verse above we have an example of a man called of God to perform for the Kingdom of God. Bezalel was called by God to perform a most important work for Him. I am sure that Bezalel believed that he was naturally gifted with his hands to make fine crafts with gold, silver, and bronze. In his original thinking this man may not have associated his artistry with God's work. But the Scripture tells us that God chose Bezalel and filled this dude with HIS own Spirit to enable him.

Does God call men and women into their vocations to fulfill His purposes - to fulfill that which needs to be accomplished throughout the world? Have you ever thought about how many occupations there are in the world? How did that balance of interest among each human throughout the world happen? Did it just happen? Was it by chance that we have only so many doctors, only so many accountants, only so many geologists? Now, I realize that mom's can call doctors. And I know that dad's can push hard for sons to become engineers but nonetheless everything that needs to get done (Well, quite most of it) seems to.

If you are a follower of Jesus Christ your interest in your vocation if understood rightly in the light of scriptures should not be born of your own making. Certainly whatever it is that you do would be best done should the work of it be given to God as an offering. So many believers and even pastors have made the mistake of encouraging us who have a deep desire to walk with Christ in our profession to pursue vocational ministry. To remove us from the world at large where the greatest harvest is yet to occur would be to remove us from where God called us. Do not take this bait. Serve the Lord in the place where He has gifted you and called you. Where is your skill? Where is your passion? Marry those two things and expect God to honor the work of your hands.

I almost made this same mistake when God drew me to Himself when I was 18 years old. I concluded that I must be called to be a full-time pastor. I took steps to fulfill this by leaving my job and entering a Bible school for training. Upon completion, I took a job as an assistant pastor in a church. But God's mercy allowed me to be removed from that position only a few short years into it. I was "forced back into business," where God wanted me in the first place. It was a great lesson. I was never cut out to be a "conventional" pastor in a church, but a "pastor" in the community; to include business, and church, and teaching, training, and applying the growing knowledge God was giving me from His word to be more directly applied to everyday life.

If you struggle today with who you are in Christ and what you do it isn't necessary. Give God what you do now. Expect Him to move you into the place where you affect more for His Kingdom and watch Him work.

One day our friend Bezalel was merely a recognized skilled and talented goldsmith. The next day he was GOD'S goldsmith. Let's all get on THAT bandwagon.

I remain...

InHISgrip,
~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment