Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Greatest Light in Our Personal World Is...?

Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God? Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed. - Romans 3:3-5

As I grow older, ya know, just plain older; but also as I mature in faith I have become more concerned with what separates those who have a false sense of security in Jesus than I am worried about those who rightly and properly understand why it is they are bound for eternity with God. I hadn't thought about this much until I began, once more, reading John Piper's book Desiring God. In the book Piper makes a strong case for the joy of salvation that Christians properly feel emanating out of them from a shift in the primary focus on their love and affection. Who do you love most? Piper scripturally argues that if your foundational love; from which all other affection is drawn from; the source of all your love or happiness is your love of God then you can wrap your heart, mind and soul around your correct assumption that you know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior.

So what then is the wrong love focus? How might you wrongly assume the happiness you get from being saved is false hope? What then might it be that gives us a counterfeit sense of, "I am saved?"

In a recent message to his church John Piper spoke these words,

Millions of nominal Christians have never experienced a fundamental alteration of that foundation of happiness. Instead they have absorbed the notion that becoming Christian means turning to Jesus to get what you always wanted before you were born again. So, if you wanted wealth, you stop depending on yourself for it, and by prayer and faith and obedience you depend on Jesus for wealth. If you wanted to be healthy, you turn from mere human cures to Jesus as the source of your health. If you wanted to escape the pain of hell, you turn to Jesus for the escape. If you wanted to have a happy marriage, you come to Jesus for help. If you wanted peace of conscience and freedom from guilt feelings, you turn to Jesus for these things.

In other words, to become a Christian, in this way of seeing things, is to have all the same desires you had as an unregenerate person—only you get them from a new source, Jesus. And He feels so loving when you do. But there’s no change at the bottom of your heart and your cravings. No change in what makes you happy. There’s no change in the decisive foundation of your joy. You just shop at a new store. The dinner is still the same; you just have a new butler. The bags in the hotel room are still the same; you just have a new bellhop.

I believe Dr. Piper is right.

Genuinely being born again, saved, and a part of the new birth in Jesus Christ has the affect of changing our fundamental desires. Where I once desired my own selfish wants and needs primarily, I now simply wish, regardless at the cost to me to glorify my great God.

For each of us the question becomes this, "Am I loving God because He made me a big deal and did a lot for me, and in my future even more if or am I loving Him because I realize the magnitude of what He has done for me though I deserve not one bit of it?" Perhaps another way of saying it would be, "is my love of God founded in Him or founded, in some manner, in me?"

Those who desire to honor God might say it better than I and I am trying to get my arms around it but the core of this seems to be that I need to understand God did all He did for me so that His glory would shine forever. I need to get that into my heart. This is not about me primarily. It is about Him fully. There is verse after verse that point out the ways in which God reveals His great love to us for His Glory and His Own sake!

Check these verses out:

  • Luke 2:10-14 is the manger story and ends this way, "... glory to God in the highest!" (We get a savior and God gets the glory!)
  • Isaiah 43:6,7 commands God's prophets to bring forth his children with the end reason, "...whom i created for my glory."
  • Ephesians 1:5, 6 tells us through the giving of His Son God adopted us back into his family. Why? "...to the praise of His glorious grace."
  • Psalm 79 essentially says that God pursues us for His Glory. Verse 9 resounds, "Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of Your name; deliver us, and atone for our sins, for Your name’s sake!" I might get a benefit but my God ultimately gets something far superior-GLORY. This is how the truly saved might pray.
  • John 17:24 and this is how Jesus prays when speaking about this very subject of our right standing and salvation with God. Check this out: Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

Jesus wants us with Him. To be sure He has and will yet do many things for us (Check out the book of Revelation sometime to see what is, in small part, yet to be done for us...HUGE!) but what is our joy and our happiness? ... to see His glory!

This could go on and on but I point these out to express that the love of God is meant to lead us back to His glory and His honor and our praising Him and it is an end in itself and that is how the born again, he saved, the truly blood washed see their salvation. Where once I had no desire to love on God now I cannot help but see how everything points back to Him that is good, right, pure, peaceful, loving and full of His glory.

So what's in it for you and I? Well I think you can probably answer these questions yourself; at least partially. I've already made this way too long but here is a short list and you look up the scriptures to validate it:

  • I receive eternal life because He receives the glory
  • I receive riches beyond this worlds count because He receives the glory
  • I receive His purpose for me in this life because He receives the glory
  • I receive His personal direction and instruction because He receives the glory
  • I received and continue to live in His great love through Jesus Christ because in His having given that to me He receives the glory

This is truly the short list...judge angels, joint heirs, ruling and reigning, it goes on and on doesn't it...and for it I weep for joy and bow down and worship the great God of all because He deserves all honor and power and glory for ever! God gives us so much and loves us so much and makes so much of us because in doing so, in the way that only He can do it true and fulfilling love, God's love and loving God is regenerated.

Don't let all God has done and will be done for you become the reason for your love of God. Don't make some aspect (love, wisdom, freedom, power, healing, gifts, etc.) become the reason for your love of God or others.  We can love Him because He first loved us, gave His Son for us and now, by opening up our eyes of understanding, allows us to glory in the unfathomable love that is our God.

I remain...

InHISgrip,
~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment