Saturday, February 21, 2009

Witholding Your Natural Gifting

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power -1 Corinthians 2:3-5

This morning, I received a message of encouragement to my phone from a dear saint and friend. It reminded me that the good things in my life, any good thing that I do in the name of the Lord, all of goodness that might escape from these lips, these hands, this life were to honor and glorify God. I should give credit where it’s due.

It further went on to remind me that part of that work is found in Matthew 28: 19,20. I am to purposely step out into the world and confront those who are not Christians and implore them to come to Jesus; whom to know means life abundantly and eternal. I am further to make sure they become disciples and follow him. That is part of the work.

This week has been one of challenges. My current working situation is coming to a conclusion. I am to be grateful. There is a new adventure around the bend. I actually am excited as well as challenged to trust the one who holds my very existence in the palm of His hand.

In our careers, we’re trained to press through obstacles in order to reach the goals of the organization. But a life of faith can be very different – it must be. Perseverance that is not directed by the Holy Spirit is only sweat and toil. We must learn to walk the fine line between these two concepts. Some things, done in our own strength, are expected. The direction our lives take and the way we handle relationships must be handled according to the rules of the Kingdom of God.

On this subject of relying on our human strength, Watchman Nee wrote:

"I believe many people are so rich and strong that they give no ground for God to work. I frequently recall the words, "helpless and hopeless." I must tell God, "all that I have is yours, I myself have nothing. Apart from you I am truly helpless and hopeless."

We need to have such a dependent attitude toward God that it is as if we cannot inhale or exhale without Him. In this way we shall see that our power as well as our holiness all comes from Him. Oh how God delights in seeing us coming hopeless and helpless to Him. A brother once asked me, "What is the condition for the working of the Spirit?" To which I replied that . . . the Holy Spirit must first bring us to a place where we can do nothing by ourselves.

This sounds almost as if we could be puppets. We know we are not. God gives us our natural skills and He will use them, although it can be hard at times to tell whether it is God working through us or if it is our natural skill alone making things happen. We need to try to distinguish the difference even as we resist over-analyzing (which can result in paralysis by analysis).
The apostle Paul understood that it was not his ability to deliver eloquent sermons that changed people. It was the power of God working through him.

Today, with me, lift up a simple prayer to God. “Father, all that I have, all that I am, any good thing that comes form my life Lord, it comes from you. Use me and make me aware when your power has streamed through me. But also Father God, may I never forget – it is all OF You and FOR Your glory – in Jesus name – Make it so Lord!”

If God’s power comes through our work, that brings glory to the Father. It’s a very good thing! Don’t hold back – make it happen – eternity hangs in the balance!

I remain…

InHISgrip,
~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment