Saturday, February 21, 2009

And Jesus Said, "I Pick You!"

Come, follow me,' Jesus said, 'and I will make you fishers of men. At once they left their nets and followed Him –Matt 4:19-20

Do you recall how good it felt when you were chosen to be on a team? I do! I can remember every time I was picked first from the ages of 7 until I was in college. Actually, one reason was it was rare. Oh, don’t get me wrong; I was a pretty good team player. I was always in the top 3. But to be picked numero uno; that was glory!

Right now, I am praying and seeking God’s will about a career move. But the competitive John is always thinking, “Will they pick me first?” It makes one feel special to be preferred over another.
During the time of Jesus rabbis' (headmasters, or Master Teachers) were well known in their community. Each rabbi had a following of students.

Jesus was developing as a "superstar" rabbi.

He was unlike the others. He did things differently. He often confronted the accepted thinking of other rabbis, Sadducees and Pharisees. The younger men had great respect for Jesus, the rabbi.

To be selected by Jesus would be a great honor because most great teachers would usually select only the cream of the crop in the community as their disciples. You all must know that this must have caused no great amount of consternation among the rag tag group who seemed closest to Jesus. By the standards of the day… well, no way do Peter and the other disciples qualify.

But Jesus had a purpose in mind for Peter and the disciples. The rules of selection changed.

God is the one who calls people into relationship with Himself and to their calling in life. It is for His purposes, not ours. You seem to have favor with men…perhaps in your work; just remember it was God who put you there. It was for His purposes.

Jesus chose each of his disciples from the ‘hood instead of the rabbinical schools. They did not choose Jesus, Jesus selected them and it was deemed a great honor in their culture to be chosen by such a rabbi (Check out John 15:16).

So, it dawned on me this evening that Jesus called you into relationship with Himself because His desire is for you to be a faithful priest in your home, your circle of friends, your work life, family, and city.

God’s attitude about followers can be summed up in this, "I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who will do according to what is in My heart and mind." - 1 Samuel 2:35. He desires that you be a willing participant in His agenda. He has not called you for your purposes, but His.
I’ve had to keep reminding myself that jobs’, opportunities, none of those are about me. It has to be all about Him in order for us to fulfill what is in His heart and mind for His overall plan for His Kingdom. He doesn't need us, but He has chosen to use us.

God has an agenda for planet earth. He has chosen you and me as the primary instrument for accomplishing His plan during our short stay here. Are you willing to be his faithful priest and king to do what is in His heart and mind? I have an idea. I think it will serve both of us well. Why not say "yes" to His agenda.

I hear the benefits of being on HIS team are out of this world!

I remain…

InHISgrip,
~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment