Friday, June 26, 2009

Vertical With God Means Just Outcomes

When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly - 1 Peter 2:23

When was the last time "wrongfully accused" was part of your life scenario? I know you've been wrongfully accused. I am also fairly certain you have been on the accuser's side of the equation.

I loathe being told I've done something I had no part in. It immediately brings every negative emotion right to the end of my nerves. Some people worry what others will think. "What will people think if they believe these things are true?" we reason. Not me. I don't get that deep. I just HATE having something said that just isn't so as it relates to me.

There was a point in my life that I was both a franchisee and an executive in a franchise company. I viewed it as the perfect opportunity to understand and speak into both areas. Many of the franchisees simply saw me as a turncoat. Rumors abounded of me as a sellout. It didn't hurt my feelings. It ticked me off and caused me to become sarcastic, cynical and aggressive. This didn't help at all.

Well, imagine what Jesus thought as they hurled insults and threats upon Him. The God of the universe had visited planet earth only to be slandered and accused of blasphemy. My role was nothing comparatively. Jesus came and did nothing but good. His words did nothing but reveal man and bring salvation and his actions revealed God the Father. Yet, He had to endure rumor, speculation, lies, insults and threats against His person.

Jesus might have done any number of things in response. He could have used His power to put the people in their place. He could have responded "horizontally." He could have fixed the problem right then. However, He chose to respond in a different way. He chose to "entrust Himself to Him who judges justly." It requires great faith to entrust ourselves to God our heavenly father in the midst of personal assault. The beauty of it is that if we can do this we will discover a level of grace, peace, personal power and wisdom that will be birthed from this experience that we never thought possible. Trusting our God with things we cannot control directly creates a freedom in God we can only embrace when we accept Him at His word.

Suffering for doing that which is honorable, right, and just without seeking to protect our reputation and rights is a faith act. Faith produces redemption. This activates God's grace in our lives and enables us to experience God's presence like never before.

Ask God to give you the grace to stay vertical with Him. Avoid the temptation of responding horizontally each time some event comes into your life that you want to "fix." Entrust yourself to the one who judges justly. It may be a divine appointment for your growth to another level in grace. It will change your life...some more - in the name of Jesus! Remain with me...

InHISgrip,
~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment