Friday, May 25, 2012

The Stuff Smiles Are Made Of...


Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved.  I implore Euodia and I implore Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord.  And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.  Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!  Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;  and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.  The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.  But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; - Philippians 4:1-10a


How often have you seen a friend, a family member, a complete stranger even who just had this look of joy on their face for no particular reason that you could tell? The look I am talking about might not be one where they are laughing outrageously but you just know that they are more than just "happy". It isn't just the moment that has them pleased (happy from happening or happenstance) with life but it is something bigger than that. They are truly joyful! 

I have discovered that a joyful countenance; that certain pleased, calmly content look, has nothing to do with physical things at all! You can be any age in any type of health and have any type of job or even no job and still have this deep and abiding all over "happy"! It doesn't seem to be a function of where you live. I have seen it in the face of poor Ethiopian children and I have seen it oddly absent from the filthy rich and well-to-do.  I have seen amazingly joyful marrieds and missing as well, regardless of how long or to whom they are married.  

So, what is my conclusion to all of this? Joy is a choice!

Joy is a matter of the spirit of a person. It has shrouded their spirit and therefore that man or woman's soul and their thinking like a beautiful covering. It has affected attitude that stems from one's confidence in God. It illustrates, not God's work in them but rather their time with their Father, God. He is deeply if not fully in control of their world view. It illustrates through visual expression that Abba Father, He, is observed by this one heart to be involved in the happenstances of their life.  If you could see this person yesterday, measure their countenance today and then tomorrow you could know when this recognition of His caring and love was first realized. You would also know just how deeply it is believed by that one person.  

Chuck Swindoll wrote a book some years back called Laugh Again. In it Chuck said these words, "Either we fix our minds on that and determine to laugh again, or we wail and whine our way through life, complaining that we never got a fair shake. We are the ones who consciously determine which way we shall go." 

Joy is not positional. It is not a function of status. It isn't found in education nor lack of calamitous life situations. It is the simple realization because He told me so personally, that God is here, in my life, moment-by-moment and I am in good hands - ETERNALLY! 

Today, my God is living big in my life. Check out my face, at least right now. Hopefully, you will see Heavenly joy. It only comes from one place! 

I remain...

InHISgrip,
   ~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment