Monday, October 11, 2010

How To Knock Someone Down With A Feather-Ask to Pray for Them!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. - Philippians 4:6

So I sauntered into my favorite coffee house this last week to the delicious (er...not so much) sounds of a wheezing barrista. The young lady behind the counter appeared to be gasping for breath and nearly as white as a sheet!

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Allergies," she she gasped. "When the weather changes in the fall it gets so bad I can hardly breathe."

"Can I pray for you?" I asked.

She looked up at me with eyes as big as saucers! "Oh, I don't want to take up God's time with something as silly as my hassles. I should have just taken a Benadryl this morning. But thank you for asking." she replied. The woman was touched that I would offer to pray for her and, as a side note, I did anyway, silently, at my table with my Mango Green Tea.

The next time I was in I told her my prayer group was praying for her. She could not believe that I would do such a thing for her. Tears well in her eyes.

It is interesting what happens when you offer to pray for someone isn't it? It can be the most genuine and loving thing you can do for another. It can be the one means of getting a conversation on a spiritual plane that cuts across religious stigmas and gets to the root of the problem-the person's real need. The act of the offer immediately reveals your own values and sets the stage for future encounters. All it takes is a little Holy Spirit led boldness to step through the door when the opportunity seems to present itself. Besides it is a recognition to ourselves that we realize how much has been done for us.

Is there anything too small to pray about? Do we, in fact, bother God when we make any request that is not dealing with only the poor in Calcutta? Paul clearly tells us in this passage that prayer is talking with God. It is having such a relationship with Him that we can bring anything to His attention.

We've all heard the housewife's prayer for a parking spot or other such seemingly trivial prayer requests, but are they trivial to God? If God is our closest and most intimate friend, then it becomes very natural to talk to Him as you would a friend who might be sitting next to you in the car. Yes, God desires to have such close communion with you and me that we can pray about anything-even a parking spot.

As you enter the your day today, ask a friend, a child, a son, daughter or co-worker if you can pray for them about something. You may be surprised at what doors will open as a result...some lead into eternity with Christ!

I remain...

InHISgrip,
~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment