Monday, March 2, 2009

The Competent Youngin'

"She said to the king, “The report I heard in my own country about your achievements and your wisdom is true. But I did not believe these things until I came and saw with my own eyes. Indeed, not even half was told me; in wisdom and wealth you have far exceeded the report I heard'" -1 Kings 10:6-8

"Wow! You are not what I had in mind”, said the women whose hand I was shaking. “The information I had read, your background and experience and your writing…I just assumed you were, well, older!” Now, I am not sure anyone would say that today about me but this was twenty years ago and it made me smile. It also made me think of two things at the time that stuck with me:

Now when they beheld the boldness of Peter and John, and had perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marveled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
– Acts 4:13

But wisdom is justified of all her children. – Luke 7:35

When people meet you, or experience your teaching, your thinking, your life skills, what do they say about you?

Let’s change the direction of this discussion to something that might be more discernable and perhaps practical.

Would or do people typically say that you far exceeded their expectations and give them more than they expected? Do you undersell and over produce, or oversell and under produce? Solomon's wisdom far exceeded any man's wisdom and it was evident to others. (I King 4:29-34) When people come in contact with you do they come away with a sense of greater appreciation of you after meeting you?

"Do you see a man skilled in his work? This man will serve before kings and not before obscure men."- Proverbs 22:29. Whenever we exceed the expectations of those around us or those who come in contact with us by virtue of our position or our work or some responsibility we undertake, we bring glory to our God and He often elevates us among men.

Bezalel was a man who designed the Ark of the Covenant for Moses because God handpicked him to design it as a result of his exceptional skill. Then Moses said to the Israelites, "See, the LORD has chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts - to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic craftsmanship. And he has given both him and Oholiab son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, the ability to teach others" - Exodus 35:30-35.

If there were a Kingdom project to be done would God recommend you for the job? Let me remind you, in fact, God’s work is all work and all projects his princes and his princesses do are Kingdom projects!

God calls you and I to live our lives and do our work with excellence. Create the great shocker! Show yourself wise and powerful and competent beyond your years! I remain…

InHISgrip,
~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment